Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Good COuntry People

Hey sorry to backtrack, but an interesting thing Evan and I were discussing today was that we think females are more likely to feel sympathy for Hulga than males are. There is an identifiable quality in Hulga for "women" in that she puts herself out there when shehas much more to lose(as women often do in sex for societal and natural reasons) and this "putting down of her guard" is something women may be more naturally sympathetic towards. ANy thoughts?

Kate P.

3 Comments:

Blogger VioletISP@yahoo.com said...

Damn. My post didn't show up.

Alright - I said that I agree with the notion that females may be able to understand Hulga better, because they are able to empathize with her. In almost every society, females are expected to be attractive, sexual, and desirable. Feeling incapable of these characteristics would make one feel insecure - as Hulga does, and as I'm sure many people especially girls have felt as well

7:09 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I think that men too can understand the idea of putting down their gaurd, or the sense of betrayal that Hulga experiences at the end. It may not be a strong as women, but they've been cheated on or dumped as well. Just an assumption, considering I'm not a guy...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Since when was letting down your guard something that only women do, and something that men are incapable of doing? Men may be, sterotypically, less likely to let their guard down, but that doesn't mean we are inable to do something like that. The general principle of opening up only to be completely shot down is too broad to be confined to one sex. So pretty much I'm agreeing with Charlotte.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home