Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Unit Choices, as promised

Scholars--

Here is the list of works you've suggested thus far:

The Lord of the Rings
Post-Colonial Africa (Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, Things Fall Apart, Poisonwood Bible)
Catch-22
A mystery novel (title yet to be suggested)
Stephen King (The Stand, or It)
The Poetry of Rock Music
Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, perhaps; I'm quite partial to Galapagos myself)

I would also add, for your consideration, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Both are often misunderstood and misrepresented.

I am reluctant to completely allow the dismissal of Thomas Pynchon--he really is perhaps one of the greatest postmodern American literary minds. Give The Crying of Lot 49 a second chance, hmm?

As you consider your choices, please remember: my goal in allowing you this freedom is to give you the chance to take stock of your own current abilities. Identify not just what interests you (which does indeed matter) but also what gaps in your knowledge still need filling. This will be your last chance for group literary study before college....choose wisely. Make the most of our dwindling time together.

LAZ

7 Comments:

Blogger L Lazarow said...

Oh--and one last thing...I'm prepared to start the poem-a-day presentations immediately. So if there's someone who wants to step up to go first (by which I mean tomorrow!) please post your intention to do so.

If you feel daunted by this prospect, do not fear. I have MANY books of poetry for your perusal. And, of course, you can't go wrong with Billy. --LAZ

1:06 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

Just an idea for the mystery book;
I went to New York Times Best Seller List and these were in the top 10 paperback fiction:

2. THE HUSBAND, by Dean Koontz. (Bantam, $7.99.) A man whose wife has been kidnapped has 60 hours to come up with a huge ransom.

4. THE FIFTH HORSEMAN, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. (Warner, $14.99.) Detective Lindsay Boxer and the Women’s Murder Club investigate unexplained deaths at a San Francisco hospital.

9. DEAD WATCH, by John Sandford. (Berkley, $9.99.) A political operative investigates the murder of a former senator.

10. COVER OF NIGHT, by Linda Howard (Ballantine, $7.99.) A young widow fights back when intruders storm her bed-and-breakfast in rural Idaho.

Ok, so maybe this isn't the best source... intruders in a bed-and-breakfast in rural Idaho??

3:55 PM  
Blogger Vivi said...

Can the poems to be shared starting tomorrow be from any culture/genre/even rock poetry?

6:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the Frankenstein/Dracula suggestion a lot. And also, maybe we could fit Vonnegut in with The Crying of Lot 49, because Vonnegut is also a postmodern writer. I know the reason why I personally didnt like the Pynchon idea at first is because I know nothing about postmodernism, which makes me realize that it would probably be a good unit to work on.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ruby said...

I really like the sound of the African Literature unit. The books that would be a part of this unit are definitely books I have had intentions of reading for quite some time and it would be nice to read through them as a class. Whatever we end up doing as a class, while it may be the last thing I really want to do, I feel as though I need to work on my essay writing skills before heading off to college. If we could work as a class on essay writing, the final exam (like the midterm) could be an essay. It might make a nice transition from high school to college.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Vivi said...

I was just wondering when exactly Dracula was written, and if it is in any way supposed be a historical account of the actual Dracula in who lived Transylvania/Eastern Europe...

3:52 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I still say Africa looks like a really good unit!!!

The Poisonwood Bible is amazing!!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home