And When Shall We Three Meet Again?
Prologue
We dig.
If I am ever so fortunate to be allowed to leave, the ever-inquisitive world will no doubt ask me what I did for all these long years in prison. How does a convict spend their day, they will ask. And I will tell them:
We dig.
A convict sentenced to a twenty-year sentence of hard labor can do a powerful lot of digging. In my 12 years on the chain gang, we have dug every possible manner of hole. Post holes for fences. Ditches for highway drainage. Trenches for sewer lines. Soil aeration. Wells. Foundations.
We dig. All day. Every day. We come to know the varied character of the ground, its forms and feelings. After all, we are born to tread upon it, until such time as we are prepared to return to it, to dwell within it. The earth is all we know, and considering our present circumstance, all we need to know.
But even though this unbreakable monotony of shovels and barrows and swinging picks feels eternal, there is still hope. This is not one frozen moment in time. We do not languish; we crawl forward, one mound of dirt at a time, toward the distant light of freedom. And when we reach it, we can at last make good on the vow we have all uttered more than once: to never dig another hole as long as we live.
I would like to tell you I remember every hole I ever dug, but that would be a straight-up lie. There have been so many--hundreds? thousands?--they are all one in my mind.
All except the One. The One I remember. The One I will always remember.
Every prison has some reward for good behavior. Depending on its population, inmates might receive additional privileges during meals, or in the exercise yard. Some prisons established programs with dog trainers, where inmates would learn the basic techniques, then be given a puppy to raise--hoping, of course, that this would lead to an interest outside of crime, thus furthering the process of Rehabilitation.
Our reward was the Braw Pond Archeological Dig.
It must have been some official's idea of a truly hilarious joke: the diggers could earn time away from their pickaxes in the ditches and foundations, exchanging them for dental picks and toothbrushes alongside the local college students.
I never saw the humor in it myself, but I won't deny there was always a definite feeling of relief to see my name on the Braw Pond list.
Of course, it stands to reason that we make the best discoveries by accident. How often do we ever really find what we're looking for? It's when we stop looking and open ourselves up to the whim and whimsy of the universe that those treasured secrets are revealed.
And, oh, Mother, was it ever a treasure.
The short version: I was lugging another bucket of "clean" dirt away from the dig site to the dump pile when the ground gave way beneath me. No one had known anything about a building ever having been on that spot, but I had clearly found its cellar. Evidently, while the whisper-soft footfalls of scrawny collegiate types were OK, my burly convict's body was more than that unseen ancient structure could bear.
It wasn't much of a drop--just enough be break my ankle (another blessing--that meant transfer to the hospital ward, and no digging until the break was healed). And that break meant no one was paying close enough attention (how could they, with me screaming bloody murder, and half of the day's students body-checking each other to get a look into my discovery, hopes of a doctoral thesis dancing in their eyes?) to notice the neat bundle of letters I'd slipped out of the demolished fragments of the small wooden chest upon which I'd landed, into the pocket of my coveralls.
It took quite a bit of planning to keep them safe--lifting anything from the site--expecially the tools--was instant disqualification from ever being allowed back. But I couldn't deny them--they were calling me... They wanted me to take them, to open them and read them again, to breathe life back into them--and back into their writers, departed from this earth so long ago.
I was more than willing to do that. After 12 years, they were something so much more substantial than another empty hole. And the story....
It was exactly the story a 20-year chain-gang digger needed to hear, to reassure me that even I will emerge from the dirt and darkness one day.
We dig.
If I am ever so fortunate to be allowed to leave, the ever-inquisitive world will no doubt ask me what I did for all these long years in prison. How does a convict spend their day, they will ask. And I will tell them:
We dig.
A convict sentenced to a twenty-year sentence of hard labor can do a powerful lot of digging. In my 12 years on the chain gang, we have dug every possible manner of hole. Post holes for fences. Ditches for highway drainage. Trenches for sewer lines. Soil aeration. Wells. Foundations.
We dig. All day. Every day. We come to know the varied character of the ground, its forms and feelings. After all, we are born to tread upon it, until such time as we are prepared to return to it, to dwell within it. The earth is all we know, and considering our present circumstance, all we need to know.
But even though this unbreakable monotony of shovels and barrows and swinging picks feels eternal, there is still hope. This is not one frozen moment in time. We do not languish; we crawl forward, one mound of dirt at a time, toward the distant light of freedom. And when we reach it, we can at last make good on the vow we have all uttered more than once: to never dig another hole as long as we live.
I would like to tell you I remember every hole I ever dug, but that would be a straight-up lie. There have been so many--hundreds? thousands?--they are all one in my mind.
All except the One. The One I remember. The One I will always remember.
Every prison has some reward for good behavior. Depending on its population, inmates might receive additional privileges during meals, or in the exercise yard. Some prisons established programs with dog trainers, where inmates would learn the basic techniques, then be given a puppy to raise--hoping, of course, that this would lead to an interest outside of crime, thus furthering the process of Rehabilitation.
Our reward was the Braw Pond Archeological Dig.
It must have been some official's idea of a truly hilarious joke: the diggers could earn time away from their pickaxes in the ditches and foundations, exchanging them for dental picks and toothbrushes alongside the local college students.
I never saw the humor in it myself, but I won't deny there was always a definite feeling of relief to see my name on the Braw Pond list.
Of course, it stands to reason that we make the best discoveries by accident. How often do we ever really find what we're looking for? It's when we stop looking and open ourselves up to the whim and whimsy of the universe that those treasured secrets are revealed.
And, oh, Mother, was it ever a treasure.
The short version: I was lugging another bucket of "clean" dirt away from the dig site to the dump pile when the ground gave way beneath me. No one had known anything about a building ever having been on that spot, but I had clearly found its cellar. Evidently, while the whisper-soft footfalls of scrawny collegiate types were OK, my burly convict's body was more than that unseen ancient structure could bear.
It wasn't much of a drop--just enough be break my ankle (another blessing--that meant transfer to the hospital ward, and no digging until the break was healed). And that break meant no one was paying close enough attention (how could they, with me screaming bloody murder, and half of the day's students body-checking each other to get a look into my discovery, hopes of a doctoral thesis dancing in their eyes?) to notice the neat bundle of letters I'd slipped out of the demolished fragments of the small wooden chest upon which I'd landed, into the pocket of my coveralls.
It took quite a bit of planning to keep them safe--lifting anything from the site--expecially the tools--was instant disqualification from ever being allowed back. But I couldn't deny them--they were calling me... They wanted me to take them, to open them and read them again, to breathe life back into them--and back into their writers, departed from this earth so long ago.
I was more than willing to do that. After 12 years, they were something so much more substantial than another empty hole. And the story....
It was exactly the story a 20-year chain-gang digger needed to hear, to reassure me that even I will emerge from the dirt and darkness one day.
Labels: Sadaf's Team

17 Comments:
NOTE TO SADAF'S TEAM: I don't know if we are allowed to make changes after we've posted (ex. change names, delete posts,etc.) If you guys don't like my letter or if you want to go a different direction, let me know--we can delete it! I was just bored and knew I needed to post on the blog. --Kate P.
Dear James,
It's not the fact that you were acting completely irrational and histrionic that bothers me. It's not even the fact that you stormed off. But that you slyly shoved the urn into MY hands before you left, knowing full well that I would not realize I was in posession of Harold's remains until you had huffed off, THAT is why I write you.
How dare you leave such a responsibility to me! You know the state of my living quarters right now. With Jasper staying with me, everything is a mess. I have hardly a place to put such an object. Every time I think I have put it down safely, for some reason or another, it must be moved. And you know how clumsy I am. I have almost tripped holding the jar half a dozen times. Spilling the remains of a dear friend is hardly respectful. Think about the tongue lashing we would get from Harold if those ashes could speak.
So I'm over our little tiff. I hope you are mature enough to be beyond it as well. I also hope you are mature enough to come retrieve the cremated body of our comrade. If you don't come soon I fear that pieces of Harold will forever be embedded into my Persian rug.
Until then,
Olivia
Sweetest Olivia,
You know that our fight the other day was nothing out of the ordinary, just another insignificant tantrum over some silly matter. So what if I spilled red wine all over your white dress? All of my friends confirmed my suspicion that it washes out as long as you scrub extra hard. Alas, in all seriousness, I, perhaps foolishly, felt that Harold's ashes would help comfort you after his tragic demise. You must not think of his death as your fault. We have all been on the riggings of the ship thousands of times. We were all aware of the danger climbing it presented. Harold took your place when you had your sprained ankle because Harold understood that the sail must be fastened down. He knew, as the rest of us did, that it would be absolutly too dangerous for you to have gone up there. Fate is why the rope broke, fate is why Harold plunged to his death. Your action, or in this case inaction, is not the cause of his death. Instead of ignoring this woeful accident, we should focus on moving forward as a family, and on discovering what purpose fate has in store for you. I cannot help but sense that both of us, maybe even Jasper as well, have something much more significant in store for us. Only our actions in the future will elucidate this. As always despite our frequent arguments, I will remain steadfastly at your side.
Your dearest,
James
I am writing foremost to notify you I have safely arrived back at the homestead. The whole journey home, I was preoccupied with something else. The road bumped and jostled here and there yet my mind remained focus on but one thing: Harold. He had been up the rig hundreds of times. He is as skilled a sailor as anyone; he certainly had the mouth for it. Yet it is this experience that continues to linger heavy in my mind. Why was it that he fell off? He had been successful in much more difficult circumstances and endeavors. What was it about this instance that ended so unfortunately?
I have wracked my memory to that day. I cannot seem to find anything particularly peculiar other than the weather. The ropes on the boat were freshly outfitted no more than three weeks before our day out, they appeared in excellent shape following my usual inspection before launching off the wharf. I have tried to comfort myself with the notion of a higher being: things happened the way they did and could not possibly have happened any other way: fate if you will. In my experience though fate does not act rashly, but rationally. Something is afoot, I believe. Sturdy ropes do not simply break; the hand of god has not intervened on such an acute level since the creation of Eve. I will not standby and mourn as a friend sits in a ceramic pot as nothing more than what sits in my hearth. Something is afoot.
In deepest friendship,
Edward
NB: the PREVIOUS letter was written by EDWARD to JAMES
Dearest Olivia,
I recieved a troubling note from our good friend Edward today. I have never once seriously considered something foul happening on our boat the Medusa as an act of malice by another entity, but he seems to think so. Sure, she was named in jest (she was rather unsightly when we procured her), but who would expect she could rear her hideous face? I am questioning my beliefs deeply at this moment, and I wish you were here to comfort me. I have enclosed in this letter the one sent to me by Edward so that you may read it first hand and tell me your honest response. Is our old pal Edward just looking for an excuse for tragedy? Is this business of “something being afoot” just an over-active mind looking for blame, someone to point the finger at? Perhaps all the old fellow needs is a good mug of coffee, and perhaps a stiff shot of whiskey.
At some point I should like to journey with you to Harold’s estate and look around the place before his cousin moves in. I am much too superstitious to go alone. In the state I’m in a mere shuffling of wind would give me quite a fright. I look forward to returning home with you and going to see the last artifacts of a dear, dear man.
Ever yours,
James
Dear James,
Recent events have given me reason to believe there may be some truth to Edward's conjecture. I spent the earlier part of today putting together all of his belongings in our possession so that we may be ready to return them to his family upon their request. But as I was folding that favorite tattered jacket of his, a small, crumpled and torn piece of paper fell to the ground. It read as follows:
13 July, 19__
The past few days I have not felt quite myself. Indeed, since we set off from London last week, I have been out of sorts. Though my condition is difficult to describe, I can say it is a peculiar and constant ache that I have felt in differing degrees at different times. It has not affected my work on the ship thus far, and I anticipate being relieved of it shortly. Besides, there are so few of us on old Medusa, she
It is most definitely Harold's scrawl, but I have thoroughly searched all of his belongings, and I cannot seem to find the rest (or even any other remains) of this journal. Although I had hoped Edward was wrong, this finding sheds a whole new light on the situation.
Yours,
Olivia
Edward's Journal
August 26, 1939. I have begun to keep a journal again because recent events have proven themselves to require me to write them down (I do not trust my memory to remain as precise as it is now). While cleaning out Harold's cabin on the Medusa, my eye caught sight of a plank that appeared out of place. Normally I would have ignored such a banal thing, yet I could not stop glancing at it! I decided to examine it closer once I had completed this unwelcome task. Upon closer inquiry, I noticed the plank was missing nails, and that its edges were not flush with the adjacent pieces of wood. I was able to slip the tip of a screwdriver underneath it, and with a little effort managed to pry it up. Beneath the board was an astonishing, and somewhat motely sight: piles of papers (some in a language unknown to me), an unknown device, a journal, and a small, easy-to-conceal revolver! What had poor Harold gotten himself into that required an instrument such as this?! Instinct dictated that I open the journal first, which appeared to be his personal diary. Although I do not remember the exact text, I will do my best to transcribe what I remember of the page I read.
Harold's Diary
12 July 1938. I find myself torn between what I want to do, and what I feel I must do. My closest and dearest friends have no idea of my deceeptions nor of how I betray their trust. Not only is poor James unaware of Olivia's indiscretions with me, but all of them do not sense what my true occupation is. My heart constantly aches with the desire to tell the truth, if only for this once, while my mind attempts to keep my passions in check; so for now I must be content with writing everything down in my journal, as dangers as this may be...
This is what I remeber of importance. Footsteps on the deck above me forced a hasty clean up. I shall take some time to find a better hiding spot later on. But for now, I must decide what to do. Should I tell everyone of this discovery? They will certainly inquire further and it would only be a matter of time before Olivia's secret is out, something especially unwelcome right now. I must ponder what to do for a while.
Edward
RECENT ENTRY INTO OLIVIA'S DIARY:
Dear Diary,
Oh my. Oh my my. Things are ever-so-slowly spiraling out of control, and I fear my reputation as the guilt inside me has grown greatly. As I have written to you before, you know that I have been promiscuous in my actions; indeed I allowed Harold to take advantage of me on a number of occasions. I would be more of a deceiver of I said I did not enjoy his company. I knew I had to be true to my dearest James, and I had planned to confront Harold in a letter which I was never able to send. I am sorry, oh so sorry, about Harold’s tragic passing—and yet relieved. His death means that I shall not have to confront him; our rendezvous will remain between us and God, and that chapter of my life is, so to speak, “put to rest.” He was not a particularly verbose or excited man and I doubt he has left any record of our tryst. The probing of Edward and James can certainly not uncover anything beneficial to me, and I fear that they may stumble upon a document indicating our encounters or perhaps even one or two of the notes I scrawled to Harold about places to meet up. I am uncertain just how far the pair is willing to go to find out what they claim “happened to Harold.” I keep insisting that it was an accident and it is only disrespectful to probe further into a Heavenly plan. I must not push too hard, though, or I risk spilling my innermost secret which I have tried so hard to suppress.
- O. (written in beautiful, flowing cursive)
This comment has been removed by the author.
(Post above this was mine I didn't mean to post it) (my bad)
Damien's Diary 11 July 19__
I have come to the decision to record my thoughts on this voyage as a seemingly deviant feeling pervades the ship. As if it is not enough unfortunate luck to be sailing on a ship named the "Medusa" (and rightly named was she as I am suprised she was even afloat when I first saw her) strange occurances have been occuring. On the night watches I have heard bizarre sounds coming from the riggings, almost like ghostly moans or the groans one might make during a struggle. As unnerving as they are every eve have I investigated them (with knife in hand) to no avail. These are not the only oddities however, I have overheard mumbled conversations through the planks of the deck but again upon searching for the source, no one, or nothing, is there. I hesitate to report these affairs as panic spreads very quickly through a ship at sail and I wish not to be looked upon strangely if I am not believed.
In my years of sailing I have encountered many malicious beings, both person and spirit, and I have come to know a bad feeling when I get one...
The Above is by Pat, god I hate using the blog it never works properly
Ohmygod, I just spend 20 minutes writing a post and it didn't work.
Ugh. Let me try to recreate it.
Edward's Journal
Saturday, September 1, 1939
I decided to return to the "Medusa" yesterday in hopes of retrieving the rest of Harold's papers and journal. However my hopes were dim.
Various mobs of commonfolk had been ransacking the ship in hopes of obtaining valuables. Odd this may sound since a common cargoship that had supposedly completed its rounds would be deplete of valuables. However, word had reached America on Thursday that a pirate ship by the name "Medusa" had been terrorizing the Eastern seas. The reason the corrupt nature of the sailors of "Medusa" was not known to the commoners of Elizabethtown before was due to the fact that not only would the sailors pirate the ships they encountered on their journeys but would also murder the crew of the opposing ship. They would leave no trace of their actions and thus no way for news to reach land.
After battling my way through throngs of scavengers, I was astonished to find Harold's papers were untouched in the drawer I had hastily crushed them into. I suppose that the vultures found the papers to be of little value and interest and thus let them be.
I will record entries of Harold's journal which I find beneficial in solving the mystery of his life AND death in the next few following days.
Dear Edward,
I write to you concerning James. Have you spoken to him recently? When I have attempted contact, he has responded cold and distant. I fear Harold's death is really getting to him. That, or there are other forces at work here. The mystery behind Harold's fall has really made me superstitious. When the Medusa is out of my life I think I will finally relax. But until then, I anxiously await here alone. If James will not see me, then at least you will come visit. I am in desparate need of some human company, I do not consider Jasper's purrs to be adequate conversation.
Lovingly,
Olivia
Kate P. wrote the last comment.
Dear Diary, I fear that James has discovered the truth about my relationship with Harold. At first I thought the distance between us resulted from his obsession in procuring a reason for Harold's death. But, in the past he has always turned to me in times of confusion to help calm and guide him, and yet, at a time when the whole world seems bewildered, James stays away. I do not know how much longer I can remain in this dormant state. I have resolved to go visit James and help clear out the misty truths between us. Then we can move ahead in our quest to free ourselves from the wrath of the Medusa.
-Olivia
Yes, Jacob, I got the art history reference.
The Following was sent from JAMES to OLIVIA, her kitty JASPER, and EDWARD, in sep. letters:
Dearest Olivia/Edward,
I have been able to secure a couple days away from my buisness here to sort through Harold's home as we attempt to dig to the bottom of this mystery. Please arrange to meet me at the inn near Harold's home, the FILL IN NAME. There we shall be able to work as friends and comrads to piece together the bits of this puzzle we have gathered, and gather more from his personal things stored away in his home. I have also heard rumors of this secondary "Medusa," and I know for a fact that Harold only sailed for a ship called Medusa: this he swore to me. It had not occured to me, however, that there could be more than one Medusa. Perhaps we can recall the period of years where Harold was "checking out investment properties in the West Indies following their independence." Was he indeed doing so? He certianly came back much wealthier. Is it possible our friend was a pirate? I so look forward to our meeting; we shall see this through to the end. I only hope we mustn't settle any scores Harold has left behind.
--James
NOTE TO TEAM: We are running out of days and time. This entry was meant to be a begining-of-the-end. Lets try to wrap this up in maybe 5 more entries or less?
This comment is from Ellie
Harold's Diary
July 24, 1938
I don't know how much longer I can take this..Olivia has to know, must know now. There are only so many times that I can "visit my mother" a month before people get curious. Perhaps she followed me to the docks when my ship left for the Indies? I needed the money, I keep saying to myself, I needed the money. After the first killing, it was strangly and inhumanly thrilling. I was in control, I wasn't just a lowly shiphand anymore. My step-brother needed the work done and had given such a beautiful sum that I could not refuse...
Damien's Journal
July 23 ____
We have been decieved. The lights on the horizon continue to show night after night. On my last night I observed who I believe to be Harold getting into one of the two landing craft we have and travelling towards these unknown beacons. It seems that we have a traitor on board... I shall wait up to confirm these suspicions and if they prove to be true something must be done. Alerting the crew to this treachery is not in my interest however as I do not need an investigation into my past. Fears of others going through my journal prevent me from recording this but if one were to look into my past it would not bode well for me. Only time will tell how this will play out, may god save us
-Pat
Post a Comment
<< Home